Sunday Soup Recipe -- Red Lentil December 28 2014, 0 Comments
Sundays in the winter months are reserved for lounging, brunching with tea, decompressing from busy Saturday schedules, and cooking big pots of warm soup -- at least thats how I picture them! Today we made Brandon's favorite red lentil soup recipe. The soup tastes rich but is low in calories, high in protein and is vegan! It was just the right fix to warm our bellies.
What you'll need from the market:
- one sweet yellow onion
- olive oil
- two cloves garlic, chopped
- two tsp. cumin
- half tsp. turmeric
- eight cups vegetable broth
- one and a half cups red lentils, rinsed
- hearty bread
How to cook it:
- Dice one whole sweet yellow onion and sauté in the bottom of a stockpot with olive oil.
- Add a little salt to the onions and continue to sweat the onions until slightly brown (roughly 20 minutes on electric stove at a low-medium heat).
- Add to the pot: two cloves of chopped garlic, eight cups vegetable broth, and one and a half cups rinsed red lentils.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the lentils are soft.
- Season with two tsp. cumin, half tsp. turmeric and salt -- to taste.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of chopped parsley and a hearty slice of bread on the side.